
Our sweet Laura turned one about 5 weeks ago on December 30. We celebrated with friends and family on New Year's Day. Unfortunately, I didn't take too many pics of the guests, but did somehow manage to remember to take a few of the guest of honor having her first cake. But
before I get to those pics, here's an update on Laura, age one.
She's not walking, nor do I intend to let her learn...ever. As long as she can't walk, she'll stay my baby forever. She can crawl just fine, stand alone, and cruise around furniture as needed. She has all the skills necessary to walk, but is completely uninterested in the next step. I am okay with that and refuse to encourage her to move on. She's my last baby and I won't be pushing her out of babyhood any time soon.
She is tall. Strange for a Durand child because the others were tiny compared to their peers. Laura is right at average for weight and other measurements, but her height is above the 75th percentile. She's no giant, but at 13 months, she's wearing the clothes that Addi wore at 2 years. She is over two inches taller than either of her siblings were at that age.
She is the sweetest, most delightful baby we've had in this house. Addi was calm and easy-going, just generally good natured. Jackson was a bit more energetic and friendly...and a bit mischievous, even at one. Laura is simply delightful. She's friendly and outgoing, smiles at everyone, loves to chat it up with friends or strangers, and is happy in most settings. She is the only one of the three that doesn't pitch a fit when I drop her off at the nursery (the others outgrew it around age 3). No doubt she'll go through the separation anxiety phase like most kids do, but I don't see hers lasting years : )
The flip side of her nature is that she refuses to be ignored. She makes her requests known, promptly and loudly. When I lay her down in bed but she'd prefer another few minutes of cuddling (she's our cuddler), she'll protest loudly for about two minutes just so we know how she feels. When I'm too slow with her meal (or a bite), she'll yell or scream loudly while lookign right at me. However, I'm pleased at how she responds to correction. A warning "Laura, have patience" goes a long way with her. If she's touching something she shouldn't or getting into trouble, I simply have to say "Uh-uh, Laura. Hands off that." She is quick to obey and typically doesn't try again. (Well, she doesn't try again except with the yelling about her food...that's an ongoing struggle that we are working on). For the most part though, it's strange to have one so obedient : ) I'm thankful she's testing limits and learning to respond to correction at this young age, so that a good foundation is laid for later when she starts developing more independence. Hoping it makes her 2s and 3s easier on all of us : )
She is also a very talkative little gal and has plenty to say to most anyone. There are few words that are understandable, but her little voice is sweet and I love hearing it. Funnily enough, her first real word was "pretty." As I dressed her for church one Sunday, I said "Laura, you look so pretty!" and she looked at me and said "pwet-tee" in the clearest, sweetest voice. Later, when I tried to get her to repeat it for Jeff, I said "Laura, you are so pretty. Are you pretty?" Instead of saying pretty, she said "essssss." It was the cutest thing! She does say "yes" a lot ("esssss") and "please" (p-l-eath) anytime she wants something. Other than that, it's just a bunch of mumbo-jumbo coming out of her mouth, and we just smile and nod. One sweet conversation that we have a couple of times each day goes like this:
me: "Laura, are you ready to go night-night?"
L: "essss"
me: "You want to lay down in your bed with Giraffe?"
L: delighted giggle "p-l-eath."
me: "You love your Giraffe?"
L: "essss" (big smiles and giggles and cooos)
She LOVES her lovey, a pink giraffe named Giraffe. Creative, I know.
When we get her up in the mornings, she always super happy to greet everyone with smiles as she points to each member of the family in turn. Once she's said her hellos, she points toward the kitchen and says "p-l-eath." I ask if she wants to go eat and she says "essss." I love this doll baby I've got!
Dear God, please don't make her grow up. Amen.
In case you haven't noticed, I love this little girl. She's rounded out our family in the most perfect way. She brings out the best in all of us as well...Addi watches over and cares for her like any big sister should; Jackson adores her and showers her with hugs and kisses, and he's never rough with her (no small thing); she always calms me and makes me smile, even on my grumpiest of days; and she's even managed to steal Jeff's heart, even as a baby (not his favorite stage). She's just darling and we love her!






4 comments:
She's definitely a keeper - and a sweetie-pie.
G-Mom
What a sweet blessing to your family she is :)So glad your savoring the precious gift of parenthood with your sweet baby girl...and older two also!Loved all the pictures from the earlier post as well :)Blessings to you guys :)
love it! love her :)!
Aww, happy belated birthday to sweet Laura!
Post a Comment