Things have changed. Someday I will figure out how to put a pic from the ipad to the blog, but not tonight. People gotta sleep!
For the near future, I'm using this as my exercise journal. It'll encourage me to see the progress I've made.
Oh, I'm training for a triathlon. I did one in college and vowed to never do it again. The swimming, I hate it. The water scares me, a lot. When I put my face in, fear seizes me and panic takes over. But this summer is the summer to conquer that fear. God has healed many of my fears, big and small, and now it's time to work out this fear of the water.
I started swimming two weeks ago. The first day, I made it about 10 yards before freaking out and nearly drowning myself in 4 feet of water. I struggled through and swam down and back 3 times...75 yards total. There was never a length that I did without at least two stops to regroup my thoughts. It was terrible and took about 2 hours to recover.
The next day was only a tiny bit better.
By the 4th day, I could almost make it to the end of the pool without stopping. I felt a little more comfortable with having my face in the water.
After about a week, I started watching videos on swimming technique so I could practice correctly. I could make it to the end of the pool without stopping, then a short rest and swim back.
I thought I was swimming 50 m with each length so 100m with each lap. It was crushing to learn that it's a 25 m pool and I was barely going 200m for a total workout. It was HARD to do 4 laps!
Week 2:
I was able to swim in a different pool that was deeper, forcing me to make the entire length without stopping. On Tuesday, Jeff and I ran 2.5 miles in a hilly neighborhood before I swam. I was thrilled that I was able to swim down and back without a rest...50 continuous meters! Yay me! I have to note that I did a breathing drill in the water before starting my swim and that one small thing made a world of difference. My breathing pattern was, for the first time ever, relaxed and regular...just because of one little drill!
I swam in that same pool all week and practiced techniques that I was learning from youtube videos.
Very thankful for the internet!
My last workout of the week was great: 2.5 miles (big, long hills) at a 10 min pace; 400 meter swim (swim 50, short rest, 50, long rest...repeat). It felt great...so encouraging!
I am hoping to post after each workout with distances, times, and some feedback for myself. I have about 12 weeks until the race. My big question for myself is whether to do the sprint or olympic distance...500m/17mile/5mile vs 1500m/40k/10k. I think I will know whether I can go big after a few more weeks in the pool. We shall see!
All I know right now is that swimming makes me HUNGRY...more hungry than I have ever been. Ever. I've been pregnant 3 times. I am well acquainted with feeling ravenous. But my post-swim desperation for food takes things to a whole new level. Will I ever get use to that?
2 comments:
way to go! so excited for you and proud of your conquering - fear of the water is so hard to overcome (at least it was for me) but so worth it! Just think of how many times as kids we sat on the bottom of the pool for a "tea party" for fun! what were we thinking - lol
Good for you, Tricia! You'll do great, I'm sure. Just make sure you give yourself some space away from other swimmers during the race if you can. Swimming makes me hungry like no other, too!
Post a Comment