Most of you know my stance on junk food and sugar for Addi. Pretty much she gets desserts and treats very occasionally and I don't add extra sugar into things she eats. I'm pretty strict about what goes into her mouth. That being said, read on to what I did to Jackson this morning...
We have been trying for months now to get Jackson to take a bottle. He'll take it a little bit sometimes but other times he acts like I'm trying to force him to drink liquid soap. We have tried everything under the sun to get that boy to have good feelings about the bottle but he'll have none of it and its pretty important to us that he change his mind. I decided that he was going to have a bottle for his first feeding of the day each day or he could go hungry. After at least 30 minutes of screaming/settling/screaming/settling/screaming/settling and I was ready to accept the fact that I'd never be away from Jackson for more than a few hours at a time, I remembered something that Chad Bartling (Luke's dad) did while they were at the lake. See, Luke didn't want to take his paci and go to sleep so Chad, being the DAD that he is plunked that pacifier into the sugar bowl and popped into Luke's mouth. Needless to say, I was shocked that he gave his baby sugar (gasp!) and threatened Jeff that he better NEVER do that...but Luke did take the pacifier. Anyways, the crying obviously caused some temporary insanity this morning because I put some sugar on my finger and wiped it in Jackson's mouth. He promptly stopped crying and wiggled his little tongue around to lick every bit of sugar off his lips then opened up for more. I put some on the bottle nipple...he sucked the sugar right off and even took a few drinks of milk before spitting it back out and opening up for more. We repeated this act several times with more and more space in between the sugar applications. Before long, we had an empty bottle and a very happy baby. We'll see if he does better tomorrow with less sugar. If it works, I guess I'll slowly be weaning him off sugar nipples the next couple of days. Go ahead and judge...I know I would be : )
7.14.2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
7 comments:
Don't stress my friend. We do this with the babies at the hospital all the time. It's medically acceptable!
You are a great mom! We used honey for you guys and now you say its bad, what is worse, honey or processed sugar? You turned out okay and so will Jackson.
Dad
you ARE a wonderful mommy and sometimes you have to take a step back to take two steps forward. don't be hard on yourself, you are doing a great job :) oh and i will try to leave more comments. i always read your blogs (and love them), i am just really bad about leaving comments. love you guys.
Hey, no judgement here! Taylor actually doesnt appreciate the bottle either, I might try the same idea.
To get Dylan to drink water, I pour 3/4 water into his cup and 1/4 of lemonade, or O.J. or whatever else is in my fridge. It helps me not have to fight that battle I have no energy to fight.
You have a beautiful family Trish! Im looking forward to seeing you all soon! ;)
Desperation brings out the best in all of us, huh? I'm glad my husband was such a good influence :) Hope you guy have a great week! Love, Darsey
I really thought I posted a comment, but I don't see it... Anyway- I think the sugar is brilliant- a trick I'll have to remember (someday). You're raising the healthiest kids- a little sugar won't damage them too severely! Tell me a good time to call you and I'm on it!
Robin
Tricia, you are a good mother! You have good instincts and knowledge in your parenting skills .
Post a Comment