But before I tell you about my run, I need to set the stage a little bit by telling you about yesterday's conversation between me and Jeff.
A group from our church is running in a fun event on May 2 called the Warrior Dash. Jeff and I decided to join in.
Me: Hey, do you think I can be up to 3.5 miles in two months?
J: Sure. If I can, you can.
Me: Well obviously, but I'm starting from zero. Maybe even negative.
J: I'm starting from zero, too.
Me: Didn't you just run for 40 minutes yesterday?
J: Yeah......?
Me: That's not starting from scratch.
J: Well, but I hadn't run for two months before that.
Silence, with an evil eye from me.
J: What?
Me: Jeff, I haven't run in a year. During that year, I had a baby. We're talking about stretched tendons and ligaments, loose and wobbly hips, and detached muscles. I don't think it's the same thing as not running for two months.
J: Oh. Well, you can walk some if you need to.
So now that you understand me, I'll tell you a bit about this run.
I was determined to run today since Jeff is home and it's not below freezing. I got my running gear on and guess what!?? My kids recognized what happens when I dress like that. They haven't forgotten!
Addi wanted to go along, but I sent her to her room instead. Not really, but this is MY time.
Mine.
I stepped outside, realized it was still sprinkling, and came right back inside. I am a fair weather runner.
The kids immediately started whining for lunch and throwing fits about not taking naps and other such nonsense.
It only took about 20 seconds of that for me to realize that I can probably handle running in the rain, so I headed back out again.
I made it all the way to the corner before my uterus started complaining. And then my legs started in and my lungs were burning. That's when sissy Tricia started wondering if my neighbor still had some cake left. Maybe I could just spend 15 minutes over there eating cake instead of running. Jeff didn't have to know and I could start running tomorrow.
But I didn't stop. I kept running for five whole minutes! Five minutes is a lot for today. I walked for one minute and then ran for five more.
And then I went for cake on my cool-down, but she only had M&Ms and I was too sick feeling to eat more than 6.
I'll tell you, as much as it hurt to run today (and it did hurt), I don't regret it. As a matter of fact, I don't think there has ever been a time that I've regretted a run. I've dreaded them for sure, but I've never regretted doing it after I'm finished.
So I think I'll keep running. And I'll let 3.5 miles by May 2 be my goal to work for, my motivator to get those shoes on each day.
But it's hard and I really would rather eat cake.
2 comments:
Glad your running again and it will get better each day, so stay with it.
Maybe Addison could ride her bike in front of you dropping those Reisens chocolates for you every 100 yards or so. Instant gratification and reward at the same time.
Good job Tricia! I think that you should get double the rewards (calories burned, cake, whatever) for pushing through the pain! :)
Post a Comment