7.17.2013

Killer Run + 1st, 2nd, and 3rd Lake Swims

We went to the lake on Monday.  It had been raining a lot so I figured the bike ride was out of the question.  If I can't keep the bike upright in a smooth, dry parking lot...well, I have no business riding on slick, wet roads.  

So I skipped my much anticipated first hilly bike ride.  Jeff and I went for a run instead.  It was in the 60's outside (in July...what???) and raining.  The run was awesome.  

We ran 4.7 miles at an 8:34 min/mile pace.  Big hills and small hills, no flats.  It was awesome and I felt so strong.  

Apparently cross training and running hills does increase one's pace.  I've been irritated at my near constant 10 min/mile pace and have had no luck changing it.  Running hard or running easy...my pace stays within 10 seconds of that 10 minute mard.  

Until now.  Since I've been swimming and running hills, my pace has picked up without me even trying.  Gotta love that : )

Now, about this swimming thing.  Good gracious is it freaky putting my face in the lake water.  

Really.terrible.freakiness.  Terrifying.  Panic inducing.  

It's awful.  I determined to do it but turned right back to the ladder and climbed up onto the dock to regroup.  

Later, Jeff took me out in the kayak and dropped me off.  Swim back or die.  There's no climbing into a kayak in the middle of the lake.  I made it about 50 yards on 1st attempt and there was A LOT of doggie paddling.  

The next day, I swam before doing any other exercise.  He dropped me about 100 meters out and I swam in, still a lot of doggie paddling.  

Recover on the dock.

100 meters again...the second trip out on the second day I managed to make it about 50 m before the paniced doggie paddling took over.  

We are going back tomorrow.  

My goal is to swim 100 meters without doggie paddling.  This will require supernatural peace from the only One who can give that.  It will be a big deal.  

No comments: