You'll probably need to sit down for this one.
I had a meeting tonight at church to find out everything I need to know about hosting a D-Now group this weekend. I did find out everything I need to know and guess what the main thing is.
I need help! I'm excited, but it's going to require more energy than I have these days to make it through the weekend.
But that's not the shocking admission and not what this post is about either.
Addi came with me to the meeting. Jackson stayed with friends because he's crazy and I needed to be able to concentrate.
Addi behaved very well. So well, in fact, that nobody would have guessed that I forgot to feed her dinner and it was closing in on her bedtime.
Nobody would've guessed, but they didn't have to. She announced it to the room when she asked Shelley, the youth minister, how much longer the meeting was going to last.
Shy and quiet: "How much longer will we be here?"
Shelley: "What sweetie?" Turning to me "What does she need?"
Addi, much louder: "My mom forgot to feed me dinner! How much longer?"
Cricket, cricket. It was 7:45 and I hadn't fed my 4-year old dinner. Hadn't fed myself dinner either. For shame!
But that's not the shocking admission either.
Here it is. Are you ready?
On the way home, we went through the drive through at Wendy's.
I know. Gasp.
I've never in my life fed my daughter a fast food hand burger and I really never intended to. Jeff has once and he got in trouble for it. My mom did once and tried to hide it from me by telling the kids the restaurant was called "The Hamburger Place." It backfired when we passed a McDonald's and they shouted that There! There it is! That's The Hamburger Place where G took us! She got in trouble, too.
And now I'm ashamed to admit that at 7:52 this evening, I drove through the drive through at Wendy's and ordered 2 Jr. Bacon Cheeseburgers--one for her and one for me. We ate in silence in a dark car while driving home. I was silent and ashamed. Addi was stuffing her face and loving every bite. For the record, I didn't order fries or a frosty. Just the 2 burgers with a cup of water, and that's enough to send me spiraling into a sea of despair and guilt.
I just needed to confess that to you all.
Thanks for letting me get it off my chest.
Next time I'll tell you all about how I watched Jackson fall off some playground equipment and land on his head from about 6 feet up. He's got pebble bruises and cuts all over his noggin.
It was not a good day for us.
11.09.2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
5 comments:
I am sure she will not die from a Wendy's Jr burger. However they might from going to the other place. You were only allowed in that one for the .19 ice cream cones.
I don't know if you remember but there was a time when your granddad got on a MD kick and wanted to eat there fairly often and raved about the burger that came divided into two compartments Mac blt or something like that. The fries of course were always good as well as a shake with the burger.
Your still the greatest of moms even if you don't feed your child.
A little junk won't hurt her :) it builds character and good memories :)
Mandy, I'll agree with the memories part, but character? How does junk food build character? Just wondering about that : )
okay to clarify - I was thinking how some of the character building conversations I have had have been late at night at a fast food resturant with friends which I led to the memories.
I knew there was a way to make it work! Thanks, Mandy! Wendy's late night, here we come...
Post a Comment