11.26.2008

Lease Trip

The greater Durand family spent the last 5 days out at the deer lease and we can't wait to head back next week.  We all just have the best time out there!  There were several hi-lights...  

First of all, I shot a buck.  His rack is pretty puny but I'm not a trophy hunter so I didn't mind.  I was hunting alone (Jeff was off bow-hunting somewhere else) and I determined that this was a big-bodied, post-mature buck with less than stellar genetics...so I shot him.  Pretty fun.  I was right--he was a big old boy, 6 1/2 years old.  We also brought home two does--Jeff and I each shot one.

Addi's favorite part of the weekend (and she'll tell you all about it if you ask) was "helping" me field dress one of the does.  She stood right there and was very interested in the internal organs, especially the very purple liver.  Ask her where her liver is and she'll point to the general area.  Anyways, she helped by handing me the knives (carefully and with supervision) and by holding one of the back legs up.  She never flinched.  Kinda weird.  Jackson is not one bit interested in anything beyond identifying a buck or doe.  The boy could care less, but that's okay.  He can push his pink stroller around while wearing Addi's pink Easter hat all day long.  Maybe he'll grow up to cook the game that his sister brings in.  Fine with us.  Now just remember that children have been part of the hunting process for ages and have not been damaged by the blood. It's just a fact of life. Kinda like our boy having a love for anything pink. It's just how it is.

Besides pushing the stroller around, Jackson's favorite lease activity is sitting by the camp fire.  Everyone gathers around the fire each night after dinner and we talk the hours away.  It's wonderful.  The kids get an abbreviated version before they get tucked in to bed.  Addi's always running around from person to person---busy, busy until the end.  Jackson just loves sitting in his tiny little chair, being still like the rest of us.  Don't you just love this shot of Jeff with his little boy?  

That sight just melts my heart. We all do love the camp fire! Jeff and I were talking on our way home about how much the kids love it out there. The only toys are the stroller and a set of golf clubs...but the kids are happier and more content out there then they'd ever be at home. We are SO THANKFUL for a place to take our kids where they can play in the dirt, run free with no worries, and collect rocks until the pile takes over the front step. They just get to be dirty kids out there and we just can't beat that. We don't even mind sacrificing our hunting time---we just love having our little family out there living the good life. We're only home for Thanksgiving festivities before we head right back out there. Can't wait! Oh, here's one last picture that I took on my last hunt when I shot my doe. The deer are rutting right now (does in heat, bucks acting crazy chasing them all over). These deer were so close to me at times that I could have spit on them. Not that I'd do that, of course.

It was a beautiful hunt, probably my most fun one ever. Can't wait to go back! Did I already mention that?

Happy Thanksgiving!!!

2 comments:

kathy Strickland said...

Perhaps Addie's calling is to be an excellent Vet or perhaps even a surgeon in the days ahead. Whatever God has for her, she will be one interesting young lady.

Jackson will make a nurturing father one day and will take to whatever God calls him to do..he is a pretty smart young man!

Anonymous said...

You guys are raising my grandchildren right - at the deer lease, lake house, church, BSF, and AWANAS, as well as at home. They are so well rounded it's no wonder they both love balls!

G-Mom