Much to Addi's disappointment, we did not shoot any bucks this weekend. Actually, we did not even see any "shooters." (Shooter: A mature buck aged at 4 1/2 years or older---the size of the rack or number of points is NOT a deciding factor) We saw plenty of young bucks, does, and a healthy crop of yearlings. At one point, I had 14 deer in front of me--3 bucks, 7 yearlings, and 4 does. It was beautiful. I think there are 11 in this picture, but there might be more:

Jeff shot two pigs on opening morning, a sow and a piglet, and we each shot a sow that night. Wild hogs are becoming more common on our lease and they're very destructive---fun to hunt but not good to have around at all. We had a pig-pickin' on Saturday night with the piglet Jeff shot. We rubbed it with olive oil and Cooper's seasoning, browned it over hot coals, wrapped it in foil and smoked it for a couple of hours. It was delicious (even Addi got into picking the meat off the bones) and helped get the excitement level up on our declared war against the swine. We're all after the little guys now--they taste the best! I have to brag on Jeff for a minute. The guy is just the greatest shot ever. I shot my pig first and as we expected, the others scattered and ran. They don't just run strait, it's like a circus as they squeal and zig-zag across the field. Well, Jeff shot his pig as it was on a dead run through the grass---it was amazing. I'm proud. Here we are with our two pigs and Kate trying to take credit...
No comments:
Post a Comment