6.24.2009

Furry Visitors and Potty Update

So, no takers on leaving comments on the previous post?  Dang!  Does that mean that NOBODY goes straight to underwear at night?  Oh well.  Quick update:  One accident today (while spying on the furry visitors in our driveway) and all of his other wake time peeing was done in the potty without prompting from me. Sleep times are pretty wet but that's to be expected. He did wake up and stop mid-pee when he started wetting at nap time and called for me until I came to get him. He finished that business in the potty.  Yip-pee!  Small improvements, people, small improvements.

Now, more about the cute little guests we have living in our driveway.  As I was walking out to get the mail this afternoon, I happened to look straight down at my feet at just the right moment.  By "just the right moment" I mean that I was able to jump completely across the street before a mama skunk and two of her babies saw me and got their tails pointed in my direction.  How they didn't see me first is beyond me since I was mere inches from their stinky little selves.  Since I was miraculously out of range before they reacted, they didn't spray but instead, scurried into their little cave home under our driveway.  After reviving myself from my heart attack, I watched (from a distance) as mama skunk came back out of the cave hole and retrieved her other babies from our culvert.  Evidence shows that they've been living there for a while, but we've never met them until today.  I have been feeding them lettuce and grapes this evening in an attempt to lure them out for a photo-op but they're not biting.  This is the best I've got, but you can see the family crushed into the hole that they've apparently created for themselves.  It's dug right into our driveway.  Who knew skunks could destroy concrete? 


Just fyi, this hole is located between our culvert and our mailbox, right at the end of the driveway.  I took this from the neighbors driveway and zoomed in as much as possible, obviously.  The mom has dingy yellow marks like most adults skunks but the babies are oh, so cute.  They're young enough that they're still snowy white on their stripes, but old enough to know exactly what to do with their stink bombs.  They had their little white tails up and pink booties puckered, ready to shoot me on their mom's mark.  I'm so thankful they had some self-control!  

1 comment:

Papa Walt said...

Skunks eat bugs, crickets and such, but I don't think they eat veggies and fruit. Usually at night the mom will leave the little ones to play in the yard and they are quite entertaining. The little ones will let you get right up to them (move slow) because of your height putting you out of their range of vision and babies will not get excited if the mom is not there to show them. You can get close enough to touch but probably shouldn't because they can be rabies carriers even if young.