12.08.2009

Lunchables

When I was growing up, Lunchables were just gaining popularity. I desperately wanted to be one of the "cool" kids that brought a Lunchable instead of the traditional sandwich on bread with a baggie of crackers or chips. As I'd sit at the lunch table watching kids build their stackers of crackers, rectangle cheese (that was the perfect size!), and precut round meat, I was envious. As an adult, I think the things are nasty. Not the cheese or crackers...just those little thick, round cuts of meat. They make me shudder. But that's not what this post is about.

Today I forgot to grab Addi's lunch off the counter.

Yesterday I was still under the illusion that I was one of those well-organized moms that didn't do things like forget lunches. Actually, I knew that I'm not one of those kinds of moms...I just go to great lengths to pretend. I always get as much done the night before---clothes are laid out, bags are packed, purse is by the door, lunch is as much prepared as possible, etc. You get the idea. By not having to remember and do anything in the mornings, I've been successful at getting her to school on time with everything she needed.

But then we got to school today with no lunch. I simply forgot to grab it. In my defense (and I do NEED to defend myself), I was very distracted by the royal hissy that Addi was throwing as we loaded the car. She was mad because Jackson was bringing HER favorite truck in the car. Nevermind that it is his truck and he dug it out of the bottom of the toy box because it hasn't been played with in a week at least. Whatever. I was distracted and forgot to grab her prepared lunch off the counter.

She was not happy.

I ran to the store to buy her something to eat and guess what I found? There are LOTS of different choices for Lunchables these days. Who knew?

This is the simple Lunchable that I grew up wanting:

And I vaguely remember a pizza Lunchable...but that might even be from my teaching days.

But really, how can they even call that pizza? Apparently tomato sauce and mozzarella cheese makes anything a pizza.

One person claimed there are 43 different choices of Lunchables. They come with different drinks, sides, and treats. It's amazing really.


It took me waaaayyy too long to choose a Lunchable for Addi today but I ended up going fairly simple, I think. It was ham, cheese, and crackers (whole wheat even!) with a bite sized candy bar and Capri Sun. A full lunch, all in one box!

When I delivered it and she saw what I brought, she announced to her her class "My mom brought me a Lunchable!" as if she were the luckiest kid on the planet. I can relate to that---I would've felt the same way. But then I wondered, how does she even know what a Lunchable is? I've certainly never spent the $$$ on a Lunchable for my kid. How does she know about that?

3 comments:

Mandy said...

funny what kids know about :) I also remember wanting to be the "cool" kid with a lunchable! Oh my how we strive for identity even early on in simple things like what we eat for lunch!!! On a less deep level I am glad Addi got to be the "cool" kid today - she will always want you to forget lunch :)

Papa Walt said...

Tricia, please forgive me for depriving you of such unhealthy things as you were growing up. I never realized you were not one of the cool kids.

I also promise that I have never and will never feed your kids a lunchable!

Jennings said...

there are some girls in Ms. Cheryls class that bring luncheables... C has been asking for one for months!