3.23.2009

Oh boy.

"Jeff's not going to like this at all."  

That's what has been running through my head all morning.  Let me take a deep breath before I go on. It's a little embarrassing. Inhale. Exhale. Okay, here goes. It's Monday and since Thursday, our house has looked like this...



I can't blame it on the tonsillectomy because the kids were at my mom's this weekend. Awful, I know. Even worse is that I've been so focused on cleaning this morning that I've neglected to keep a close eye on my kiddos. Not good. Not good at all.

Addi wanted to play outside so I sent her out back to play with Kate (with shoes on---there's dog bombs in the yard). I don't think she played with Kate as much as she made mud in her water bowl and put it on her head...and everywhere else on the porch. That's when I first had the thought that Jeff won't be too happy when he comes home. Seriously, check out the mess she made:
Kate: "I'm a Durand (ish). How do you expect me to live like this?"

"I'm making bricks. You know, like the Egyptians."
(We've been studying the life of Moses in BSF--she's all about the Egyptians)


"Do you really think Daddy's going to be mad?"

But wait! That's not even all of it. While I was assessing the damage to our previously spotless back porch, I heard a hissing sound coming from inside. I went running inside, muddy feet and all, to find out what water Jackson had gotten in to. I checked every source of water in the house with no luck before I spotted him in the dining room. Turns out, I wasn't hearing water spraying at all. Thankfully, I guess, it was actually the sound of Jackson pouring out an entire box of honey nuts. It really does sound exactly like water spraying, I promise. You know, I hadn't vacuumed the floors yet so I just left him there crushing Cheerios into the carpet. I gave him a bowl and told him to clean up. Many, many minutes later, after I finished cleaning the bathrooms, I checked on his non-progress.
"Daddy will never know it was me who did this. Never!"

You know, the kids have actually had a fun morning and I've managed to get the house cleaned and laundry started despite the chaos. It's been a strangely productive day so far, but I'm planning videos for this afternoon.

3 comments:

Papa Walt said...

I love it! Hope Jeff wasn't to mad, kids are kids and just get creative somedays. I have tried to think back to some of you and your brothers escapades like these and honestly don't remember any "bad things" even though I am sure there were plenty. (We want go into HS days) I am just happy to have normal GKs that can be kids.

Mandy said...

That is what memories are made of right there :)! Love the mud, I remember putting mud pies down my swim suit when playing in the yard - I mean at least it was on the clothes not in them :)

The Jesters said...

All in a day's work for a kid... :)