**Friendly reminder: This blog serves as my "journal" of sorts so sometimes, like today, the posts are pretty long. I don't want to forget stuff. Plus, grandparents care about the details : )
Jackson's surgery went great and we're home safe and sound. He drank several ounces of apple juice and ate a popsicle within an hour of waking up and when we came home, he ate two bowls of Cheerios and some of Addi's baked potato. By noon, he was running laps around the living room--I couldn't stop him. He's doing just fine. The next couple of days are really important to super-hydrate Jackson so that when his throat starts hurting more and tightening up, he doesn't get dehydrated. Based on his lunch, I'd say we're starting strong. Pray that it continues.
I did take some pictures to document our morning. We got there a little after 5:30 and spent a few minutes getting registered. We were back in the pre-op room shortly after 6:00 where they took his vitals and explained things to us. Then we spent a few minutes in the play area waiting for his turn.


They give the little ones something they call giggle juice (I cannot, for the life of me, remember it's technical name) in the form of a nose spray to ease the separation anxiety before going back to the surgical area. Double dose, please. Not really. There were several kids in that particular room that were practically asleep from that stuff, but not Jackson. He just got plain silly and sounded like a drunk old man. It was hilarious to me and I was wishing for someone to share the laughter with. I'll just share pics...


He was in surgery for only 10 minutes before the Dr. came out to tell us that it had gone well. When they got in there, they found that his tonsils were even bigger than we thought. Tonsils are rated on a scale of 1 to 4, with 1 being closest to normal. He said that Jackson's were 4+ and took up over 75% of his throat. NO WONDER the little guy was having trouble eating. His adenoids were equally enlarged and once removed, opened up his airway immediately. He's already breathing easier and it was freakishly quiet in the car on the way home. I kept checking to make sure he was okay because I couldn't hear every single breath that he took. Praise God!
He woke up about 25 minutes after his surgery and was happy for us all to hold and cuddle him and give him juice.



He recovered quickly and they sent us home around 9:45. This is Cooks' version of the wheelchair exit and Jackson loved it. Can't you tell? Doesn't he just look thrilled?

He slept the entire way home and woke up just in time to pick up Addi. He was super happy to see his sister and show off the stickers that he got. My dad (Papa) came up to hang with Addi this afternoon and was the (thrilled) recipient of Jackson's first smile. Jackson was so happy to see Papa that he couldn't contain himself---that's when he started lapping the living room. He's one happy little boy.
I'm off to nap now---the entire house is asleep as I type and I'm feeling a little left out. Something tells me I need to grab this opportunity while I've got it.
I did take some pictures to document our morning. We got there a little after 5:30 and spent a few minutes getting registered. We were back in the pre-op room shortly after 6:00 where they took his vitals and explained things to us. Then we spent a few minutes in the play area waiting for his turn.
Kinda drafty.

"Why is everybody laughing at me?"

They give the little ones something they call giggle juice (I cannot, for the life of me, remember it's technical name) in the form of a nose spray to ease the separation anxiety before going back to the surgical area. Double dose, please. Not really. There were several kids in that particular room that were practically asleep from that stuff, but not Jackson. He just got plain silly and sounded like a drunk old man. It was hilarious to me and I was wishing for someone to share the laughter with. I'll just share pics...
"Mama's zipper, zipper, zipper, zipper. Huh, huh, huh." (exact quote)

Hmmmmmm, he looks A LOT more like Jeff when he's drunk.

He was in surgery for only 10 minutes before the Dr. came out to tell us that it had gone well. When they got in there, they found that his tonsils were even bigger than we thought. Tonsils are rated on a scale of 1 to 4, with 1 being closest to normal. He said that Jackson's were 4+ and took up over 75% of his throat. NO WONDER the little guy was having trouble eating. His adenoids were equally enlarged and once removed, opened up his airway immediately. He's already breathing easier and it was freakishly quiet in the car on the way home. I kept checking to make sure he was okay because I couldn't hear every single breath that he took. Praise God!
He woke up about 25 minutes after his surgery and was happy for us all to hold and cuddle him and give him juice.


Nana got some good cuddle time today!

He recovered quickly and they sent us home around 9:45. This is Cooks' version of the wheelchair exit and Jackson loved it. Can't you tell? Doesn't he just look thrilled?

He slept the entire way home and woke up just in time to pick up Addi. He was super happy to see his sister and show off the stickers that he got. My dad (Papa) came up to hang with Addi this afternoon and was the (thrilled) recipient of Jackson's first smile. Jackson was so happy to see Papa that he couldn't contain himself---that's when he started lapping the living room. He's one happy little boy.
I'm off to nap now---the entire house is asleep as I type and I'm feeling a little left out. Something tells me I need to grab this opportunity while I've got it.
6 comments:
What a full day- all in one morning! I was praying! I had no idea he had problems..its good to know there was a solution. Poor baby!
Blessings and grace during the healing and recovering!
We're so glad the surgery went well! We've been praying for him!
We will be praying for Jackson to heal quickly! I know it is probably hard for him to take it easy for many reasons: the main one being he is a very curious and active boy!
I am more that certain that he will be back to "normal" and entertaining all around him soon.
We will pray for God's grace and peace to rest upon you all!
Sounds like he is quite a trooper :) I am so glad he is doing well, the little gown is pretty darn cute - the man can pull of anything :)
So glad to hear the surgery went well! Jackson is a lucky fella to have such an awesome family loving on him! Thanks for the updates, love the pictures in his sweet gown. Love ya'll and will continue to pray for the Durand bunch!
Hugs,
Heather G.
Jackson, is such a trooper and good natured even after surgery. Those were great pics to bad you didn't have a video of him in his drugged state.
Post a Comment